Monday, October 24, 2016

BlogPostIT

Using the Post-It note process with this section of reading made made it more easier to understand at the end of the reading. Having a constant flow of my own ideas within the book allowed me to really think in depth about ideas while I read over them. 

My favorite Post-It from this section of reading was on page 107 where Freire states, "This concept is well suited for the purposes of the oppresses..." As Freire goes into depth about the concept of banking knowledge, he says that this form of learning produces a bias environment of the people who do no receive the "proper" education. This statement really makes me think about our history and our current education system. High stakes testing have been know to be bias. From voting limitations during the Jim Crow era kept Black men form having a voice in the government. In addition, other tests such as the ACT was, at a time, bias due to its wording of questions. Some questions would be on topics like golf, so for those who do not reside in a high social class can not relate to the question.

Wanting to try and combat this cycle of bias teaching, I found myself not knowing how to move foreword. Reflecting on my own educational experiences, this form of banking knowledge seems to be the exact was I have been taught, but with constant verbal reminder that I will need the exercises for "critical thinking." I believe the only true way to get around this unfortunate process is to rework the whole educational system. This comes with specific details that I can not come to work out such as regulations on what is taught. Trying to not force memorization without application is a hard idea to get around and am glad its a new topic on my mind due to the process of writing my current thoughts while reading the passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment