Saturday, January 14, 2017

BlogPost 3

The first 3 chapter of William Ayers graphic novel To Teach: The Journey of a Teacher made me notice the efforts put into teaching. When I think about what it takes to be a teacher, my first thoughts are the subject matter and how it is delivered to the student. After reading these chapters, it opened my eyes to the small things teachers do to make learning possible for the students. Ayers points out how not all students are going to be eager to learn, and connecting with those students is important. In the first chapter, Ayers tells a story about a student, Jose, who would act out in class. When Ayers discovered Jose’s interest in skateboarding, he asks him to perform a mini-lesson about skateboarding for the class. Connecting with this type of students gives them the chance to get involved with the class. Ayers also addresses the environment around the student. Creating an atmosphere that supports students learning is important. I find this idea critical. When I was in highschool, I always found myself looking around at the walls of classrooms. Some rooms would have posters that would refocus my attention, some walls were blank colorless space, and some would inspire me to be more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment